Have you ever wanted to go back to the good ol’ days of classic adventure gaming? Well with Mage’s Initiation: Reign of the Elements you most certainly can, as Himalaya Studios is driven to create an adventure-rpg hybrid with the classic flair we learned to love.
Although Mage’s Initiation is still in the very early stages of alpha, Himalaya Studios has released a playable demo (click to download) of the game that allows players to experience the game’s adventuring mechanics, as well as a brief intro into the combat system. The game’s artwork is wonderfully detailed while still providing the retro aesthetic that we learned to love all those years ago, and the interface is fairly straightforward for anyone who has played point and click adventure games in the past. The game’s combat is real time, and requires the player to maneuver around the battlefield while casting various spells to defeat the enemies attacking D’arc. The demo only featured fire-based magic, and provided D’arc with three spells to utlize in battle. Each spell’s unique characteristics requires the player to intelligently select which spell is more appropriate at a given point in time. Is an archer shooting arrows at you from the treetops? Blast him with a fireball. Are melee warriors trying to overwhelm you with sheer numbers up close? Create a ring of fire around you and engulf them in flames. Mage’s Initiation is quickly shaping up to be a game that will certainly be an absolute joy to play.
- A uniquely-crafted RPG/Adventure game. Gain new spells, and abilities as your character improves. No stat grinding!
- Reminiscent of Sierra’s classic “Quest for Glory” and “King’s Quest” series’.
- Play and replay as one of four Mage classes (Water, Air, Fire, and Earth), each with unique spells, puzzles, and solutions.
- Master numerous magical spells, unique to your chosen element.
- Gain new strengths, spells, and abilities as your character improves.
- Beautifully detailed, hi-res pixel-art for character sprites and animations.
- Over 30 stunningly detailed character portraits, fully voiced and lip-synced.
- 2D Hand-drawn and computer-aided cutscenes.
- A complete digital music soundtrack, brimming with magic and mystery.
- Seek out magical duels and battles against a horrid horde of enemies and monsters.
- A sizable cast of characters, ranging from humans to mythological beings. Can you determine friend from foe?
- Multiple story paths, depending on your in-game choices.
- Over 50 magical gemstones to equip into your Conductor and enhance your magical power.